Tuesday, April 21, 2015

125. Tears of the black tiger (2000)


Country: Thailand
Directed by Wisit Sasanatieng

If I had to clear this in one sentence I could say that I don't like this movie. Is not really funny or amusing, its melodrama side seems silly, even its praised kitch visual stylization is not of my taste. However, is not a paradox that I include 'Tears of the black tiger' in this list. Movies are not something that you rate with thumbs up or thumbs down and this film is quite unusual, so is quite memorable too. A drama, an action film , a western, a homage and a parody to the 'old' Thai movies  a blend of different influences and genres , 'Tears of the black tiger' is an unique case in the body of Thai cinema: it summarize it greatly as it takes it to different levels going some steps farther. It was impossible to be excluded from the list as is probably the first postmodern Thai film ever created






No comments:

Post a Comment